I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Tibet - an alternate view

Most people are (I hope) familiar with the recent Chinese crackdown on Tibet. Because China is hosting the Olympics this summer, there have been a series of protests following the Olympic torch, and several world leaders have decided to boycott the opening ceremonies. There have been calls from the campaign trail for Bush to do the same.

I think doing so would send a strong public message. But Fareed Zakaria, whom I find generally to be thoughtful in his writings, thinks that a strong public message is actually the wrong way to go if you want real results. His piece is definitely worth a read.

No comments: