I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My bucket list

Rest day again today (and tomorrow; sometimes you just need to give your body a chance to recover).  On deployment, as I may have mentioned once or twice before, there is not that much to do and lots of time not to do it in.  A few days ago, out of the blue, I started a bucket list.  Answering the age-old question, “if a thought forms and it isn’t broadcast to the known universe on a blog, does it really exist?” with a definite no, I’ll share my list with you now. 

First, the fine print. 
  1. It’s obviously only a few days old at this point, and a work in progress.  I’m open to suggestions. 
  2. It’s for things that are at least a little out of the ordinary, or things I’ve been meaning to do for a long, long time, e.g. get a dog. 
  3. They are in no particular order. 
  4. I put lots of things on it that I’ve already done, because why not? and also because even though this is the first time I’ve written it down, some of these things have been on my mental list for years, during which time I actually did some of them.  Also some of the things I’ve done, like give a concert, I intend to do more fully, i.e. give a better concert. 
And now the list:
  • Visit Stonehenge at the summer or winter solstice (reading about this is what got me thinking about my list)
  • Visit the Pyramids of Giza
  • Visit Rome
  • Learn Arabic
  • Write a best-seller
  • Visit every continent
  • Compose a piece of music (a whole piece)
  • Create and fund a scholarship
  • Throw out the first pitch at a Yanks game
  • Drive a super car
  • Attend a World Series game
  • Play all of Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue
  • Go on an African safari
  • Fly a helicopter
  • Skydive, solo
  • Coach little league
  • Learn to sail
  • Own a horse
  • Start a business
  • Own a dog
  • Get a Ph.D
  • Get accepted into an Ivy League school
  • Learn to shoot a bow
  • Go to the Olympics
  • Go into outer space
  • See Old Faithful
  • See a glacier
  • Design and build my own home (and landscape my own yard)
  • Help build a Habitat home
  • Buy an island
  • Climb Mt. Washington
  • Hike the Grand Canyon
  • Serve my country in uniform
  • Fly a plane
  • Climb Massada
  • Pray at the Western Wall
  • Get published
  • Give a concert
  • Learn to shoot
  • Learn to drive stick
  • Learn to ski
  • Study a martial art
  • Scuba dive
  • Fly in a helicopter
  • See Auschwitz
  • Visit the White House
  • Learn to play an instrument
  • Learn to ballroom dance
  • Teach a college-level class
  • Overcome my fear of semicolons

What do you think?  Still more things on the unchecked side of the ledger but I’ve made some good progress, no?  What’s on your bucket list?  What have you done already that I absolutely must try?


2 comments:

Annette | Bucket List Journey said...

Great list! I skydived tandem, but I'm a little frightened to do it solo! Maybe one day :)

Gil said...

Best to be realistic; get a dog.

:)