I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Good days, bad days...

Like everything, life on deployment is a series of ups and downs.  Today I butted my head against the brick walls of incompetence, short-sightedness and ego, but also got to see one of those Einsteins taken to task publicly by his higher, so that was nice.  I'm trying to make that happen with another one tomorrow...wish me luck.  Meanwhile no day is all bad since every day down is one less to go.

Yesterday was definitely a good day, as I spent the morning training Marines (there is nothing better in the Marine Corps than training Marines) and then I built a wall.  I know, I know, we're here to tear down walls, not build them up.  Only about 100 people have shared that witticism with me.  But since we finally got our own office once again - three walls of it anyway - I decided we needed a fourth and the option of some confidentiality when necessary.  Given my recent success building a bookcase out of warped wood chips and rusted thumbtacks, I thought I was ready to try something a little more ambitious.  Judge for yourself:



Before


After

The gap at the top is intentional, for airflow, lighting and eavesdropping.  The doorway is intentional as well, for a door.  Date TBD.  The whole thing only took about two days.  I wish it had taken longer; planning, measuring, sawing and hammering are all great diversions from the daily grind of emailing, meeting, haggling and persuading.  I'm going to add built-in shelves next, just because I can. 

Not much else to report really.  There are a few events coming up in the unspecified future for which I'm running security, including a memorial service for Sugar Bear. 

Speaking of which, I got a ton of feedback on that last post, and I want to thank everyone for your kind words, condolences and prayers.  I'm writing a letter to his family and I will be sure to include how many people who have never even met him are grateful for who he was and what he did. 

Finally, in sports news, the playoffs start tomorrow.  We have a decent first-round opponent but in the second round we'll have to face the toughest team in the league, with a 17-0 record.  We've had them beat at least once and handed the game back so we'll have to do better if we want to get to the finals.  That will be fun but the better news is that after the playoffs are over we'll keep on playing pick-up games.  I'm glad - as crappy as I play sometimes it's still great to have the outlet of sports.

Well it's getting near my bed time here.  Hope today is an up day for you.


One less to go...

No comments: