I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Plus ça change...

Things remain pretty much la même chose around here.  It's still hot (mid 110's, down to low 100's later in the week).  Also windy.  Finally got a decent shot of the very regular dust devils we get:

 This one went right over my head - they aren't nearly as menacing as they look...

...but that didn't stop my friend BK from cowering behind some containers. 
She'll kill me if she finds out this pic is on here, so let's not tell her.

If I were an alcoholic, deployment would be my cure.  Almost every week someone seems to ask the question, What's the first drink you're going to have when you get back?  Depending on my mood, my answer vascillates between a yard of Killians and a single malt Irish whiskey.  But what I've failed to share until now is that we do have options here.  They're not good options though.

People actually drink this stuff.

Oh I almost forgot - we've finally moved into our new (3rd) office.  It's part of a larger office but we're building a wall.  By we, of course, I mean Gunny and I.  If you want something done around here, you have to steal the resources and do it yourself. 

Speaking of which, I sweated my tuchis off for two days last week building a quasi-bookcase for our new office, out of whatever warped scrap wood and bent nails we could find around here.  Considering all that, I think it came out pretty well, don't you?

Thanks to GH and family for the US flag bandanna and the rest of the package!

Speaking of packages, Gunny got a pile of them recently.  Among other things he got a talking Donald Trump.  While his words of wisdom almost always lead to the same dead end ("you're fired"), now that we have him I don't really know how we ever made any decisions BT - Before Trump.

Senior ATFP Advisor Donald Trump

In softball news, we're back on track with one of the best records in the league (there are about a dozen teams) and we should have no trouble getting to the post-season, which will consist of one intense week of playoffs in early August.  I was in a personal 3 or 4 game hitting slump but coach never lost faith and kept me in the 3 hole, and last game I finally broke out of it.

And finally, I've done a little traveling lately, with more on the way, but don't worry, I always keep my head down - usually because I'm taking a quick nap.  If there were a way for me to share with others my uncanny ability to sleep anywhere, any time under any conditions, I'd be richer than Trump in no time (isn't he bankrupt?).  Alas, no pictures available of me napping. 


But it is just about bed time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS is a beautiful sunset...great pictures -