I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Clever Title

Just checking in really to let you know everything's still well and post some pics from the last week or so.

We got some rain.  In total about 0.6 inches.  But the ground is so hard here (they call it clay but it's as hard as concrete) that it apparently doesn't absorb much water.  And don't ask me why, but the rain STINKS around here.  I mean really smells. Like poop.

flush flood

I'm still in the DASC - working mornings now, so my days start around 0430 and go till at least 1900.  But I've been so pampered out here, I'm kind of enjoying the challenge and the modest sleep deprivation.  My only wish is that there were no civilian air traffic out here - mostly it consists of old Soviet-era birds flown by drunk Russian octegenarians.  Between their English-speaking skills, slurred speech and decrepit radios our RIOs (radio in/out) alternate between the futile and the comical.

The coldest of the winter is behind us, as I might have already mentioned.  Right now I'm sitting in the sun in I'd guess the high 50's or low 60's.  Feels great.  When I get back, after my long shower and two-day nap I'm going to go to the beach and soak in the sun until I can actually feel the melanoma set in.  Less than three weeks now, and I'm giddier than a school girl with Justin Bieber backstage passes. 

Behind the wire...behind me in 3 weeks.

Oh I almost forgot: shout out to Mr. McL's history class in Maine.  I heard you're being forced to read some of these posts.  If that's true, I'm really sorry.  I'll try to make them shorter.

No comments: