I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

This is not a drill

It’s February, it’s raining, and I’m inside the one-month mark. Partly, it’s hard to believe that I’m actually counting down days now, instead of weeks or months. But if ever a year felt longer than the sum of its days, this was it, so the fact that February has finally decided to show up has left me more relieved than thrilled.

Just before the rain...

It’s been a month or so since my last post, so first a recap of what’s been going on.

As I’ve written before, the best part of my job is that I have a group of security Marines that I train and employ from time to time. They aren't security Marines by MOS (just as my MOS is not AT/FP - no such MOS in fact), but that just means I have a clean slate to work with, a group of comm, logistics, supply, law, etc. Marines who enjoy the opportunity to get out of their shops and do some quasi-real Marine stuff a few times a month.


Practicing clearing rooms and buildings


Trigger-puller

Consummate Professionals

One morning last month I got the “this is not a drill” call. In about 3 minutes I’d notified the command deck and called up the SRT (sector response team). They were ready to go much faster than expected or required, and we spent most of the day dealing with the security issue, performing missions we’d rehearsed and some we’d never anticipated. Despite the rumors, contradictions and miscommunications (fog of war, I guess), the Marines performed beyond anyone’s expectations. As always, I obviously can’t share details but I can say that everything turned out fine and everyone is safe.



During the incident

Motivators

In other news, on 1 Feb we had our post office day, and I sent home (well actually to you BK) two foot lockers full of stuff I don’t need, didn’t know I had and probably won’t keep. But it was worth it, just for the symbolism. I’ll send home at least 1 more foot locker (where did I keep all this stuff??), and travel home with the bare minimum.

Aside from all that, the usual ongoing projects and the constant integration of new units (the MEU is here as you may have read), the main focus has been preparing for turnover. Ultimately, the success of the AT/FP program over the next year will be up to our replacements, but we’ve worked hard to build it up and we’re trying to ensure that it endures and grows once we’re gone.

Also I’ve been back in the DASC lately, and after working off the rust – controlling is an intensive and highly perishable skill – I should finally be earning my HD (helicopter director) qualification in the next week or two. TAD (tactical air, i.e. fixed wing) will have to wait for exercises back home.

So between all that and trying to shed the winter flubber that I’ve put on courtesy of the long tons of junk food you American-types sent us over the holidays, my days have been pretty full. Soon, soon, I’ll get home to my 96, my “warrior transition week” and soon after, my 30 days of post-deployment leave, plans for which I’ll have to tell you about in a future post.

Oh yeah, and I got to play with tanks.

No comments: