I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. All views expressed in this blog are my personal views as an individual and not those of the Marine Corps or the Department of Defense.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Life after Leatherneck

Some time in the next week (or so) my replacement will arrive.  Some time within a week (or so) after that, I will leave.  A few days later I'll be home.  Could time be moving any slower right now.

But after I get home, and after the 96, the transition week, the check-out/check-in process and so on, I'll head out for my long awaited 30 days of post-deployment leave.  I'm going on a road trip.  Let me explain.

When I was a kid, we went on lots of road trips as a family.  Despite this, I love jumping in my car - alone or with company - and escaping the suffocating tangle of city/coastal traffic for the open road where I can crank up the stereo, soak in the amazing scenery and feel the wind on my highly aerodynamic scalp.

Also I grew up all over as many of you know, and between that and other experiences I've got friends stashed in just about every part of the country.  So this will be a chance to catch up with them (you) as I city-hop.  Clear your calendar, and lock up your valuables. 

Places where I'll be stopping along the way:
  • Grand Junction, CO - just a pit stop.  Don't think I know anyone who lives around here.  Still, the drive through the Rockies should be stunning.
  • Lincoln, NE - where I lived as a kid.  Gonna try to track down some old friends, and of course visit the old neighborhood.  I'll probably swing through Omaha on my way out.
  • Cleveland, OH - another pit stop, I think.  Anyone I know live there?
  • Conway, NH - visiting pappy, celebrating Passover.
  • NYC/NJ - visiting family and friends and writing a love note to Gov Christie
  • DC - nuff said.  I think I'm gonna put together a BBQ dinner one night somewhere, probably Saturday, April 30th so save the date.  Dinner will be followed by merriment.
  • Atlanta - by this point in the trip I should be with my two brothers if everything works out.  Brother 1 lived in Atl so this is mainly for him, however NB I want to see you (for reals this time) and finally meet little P.
  • Montgomery and Mobile, AL - family-in-law, friends (if any even still live here) and hopefully some deep sea fishing.  I haven't spoken to GH and fam about this but if you're reading this - hey!  Let's go fishing.  HHM I don't think you waste your time on this blog but if you do - I'll call you and we'll figure something out.  Maybe I'll drive through B'ham.
  • Then it's cross country to Sedona, AZ - possibly the most beautiful town I've ever seen.  I spent a day at the Grand Canyon when I moved out west from Quantico, but this time I plan to hike down, camp out on the CO river and hike back up the next day.  Brother 1, bring your inhaler.
After that, it's back to Oceanside, CA.  That's the current plan anyway.  PT, I had to cut the Yellowstone piece - not enough time.  But on my next trip I'm going there and hopefully you'll be able to join me.  I'll obviously see you in NYC though.

So anyway, that's the immediate post-Afghanistan plan.  A few of you have asked me what comes next for me, big picture.  The answer, as always in the Marine Corps, is whothehellknows.  But I'll give you my best guess...

I'll obviously report back to my unit, MASS-3, where I've been officially stationed for 2 years this July, but where I've so far spent probably 3 or 4 weeks total, not counting OJT.  So I'll be due for some quality time in my MOS, which is to say doing some exercises and drills and spending lots of time in some auxiliary billet. 

Beyond that, I'm already looking forward to the next thing.  In other words, while training and the like are important, and while I'll certainly enjoy some garrison time after this last year, I didn't join the Marine Corps to sit behind a desk in Southern California.  I joined to sit behind a desk in Afghanistan.  I joined to do the kinds of things you can't do as a civilian.  If I had my pick, I think I'd like to go on a MEU - a 6-7 month float preceded by an up to 6-month pre-float workup.  You get to visit various ports, conduct exercises with allied nations, possibly respond to world crises or, as the 26th MEU is currently doing, deploy to augment OEF in Afghanistan, etc.  While you're on ship, there's a good deal of boredom but it's also a great opportunity to PT, get ahead in your professional military education (PME) and best of all get to know the Marines in your charge and the other Marines and sailors around you. 

Well I think that covers it.  Whether you read this on FB or my blog, if you live in or near a city on the great Morgapalooza 2011 tour, I expect some quality face time.  Tickets are selling fast.

My sweet ride

No comments: